Monday, September 13, 2010

White Bean Dip, Healthy Appetizer

Beans are a great source of protein, the B group of vitamins, folic acid, iron and starch. They are also packed full of healthy fibre, which cuts down levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol in your blood, thus protecting you from heart disease.   Here is a quick recipe that adds some love to your diet and heart!

1 can (or made fresh from dried) 15 oz white (cannellini) beans,  or use black, red, or chick peas rinsed and drained
8 garlic cloves, roasted
2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped spinach

Directions
In a blender or food processor, add the beans of your choice, roasted garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Blend until smooth ( I love to leave the chunks in so just pulse a few seconds), fold in spinach and herbs. Serve on top of  slices of toasted  baquette bread Italian bread or French bread.  This is also excellent placed on top of red (sweet) bell peppers cut into squares

Legumes are one of the most versatile, nutritious and inexpensive foods available. You can buy legumes dried or already cooked in the can. If you buy them dried, you need to cook and soak them first. To save time, use the quick-soak method. Place washed beans in a large pot with three times the volume of cool water. Bring beans and water to a boil for two minutes, then remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for one hour, then drain and rinse in a colander.

My favorite way to make dried fresh legumes is to use the crockpot overnight. Wash them, cover with water, turn on the pot and go to bed. Next morning there are beans ready!


21 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I feel healthier already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the recipe! And, I'm particularly happy to know my favorite bean is the highest in antioxidants. Read yesterday that 1/2 t of dried oregano has the antioxidants of 3 c of fresh spinach so I think I'll add that to this. Kate@kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful dip and informative post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beans and greens are some of the best you can eat for a healthy diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always mean to make beans, but then I forget to put them in the crock pot... I need to get more organized and eat more beans. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading your post I'll eat beans more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love using beans more and more and more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I make a white bean dip all the time, but I had never though to puree spinach in it for added health benefits. Good idea. I like to make mine with jalapeno, cumin, cilantro and red onion to use as a spread for chalupas. The great thing about bean dips is their versatility!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, and the dip is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nutritious and that I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful picture and I'm in on anything heart healthy. I am following you from the blog hop and look forward to enjoying your recipes...
    Best,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great appetizer, it looks so delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow an app that isn't in iTunes! This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dip looks perfect for a party appetizer. And I pretty much always have these ingredients on hand! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious! I love beans and appetizers! It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. healthy recipe,i will try to do one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how garlicky and wonderful, Claudia! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is great! I love white bean dip, just a nice change of pace to the normal dips you see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Need to incorporate more beans into our diet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Plastic Filled Christmas Ornaments

The skies the limit with imagination with these plastic filled Christmas ornaments! Using things I find around the house and outside t...