Sunday, January 30, 2011

Crockpot Risotto




2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and finely diced, plus 2 tablespoons chopped tops of fronds
1 cup pearl barley, or short-grain brown rice
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups low sodium fat free chicken broth,
1 to 1-1/2 cups water, divided
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 cups frozen  pea's or  green beans (optional)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup pitted oil-cured black olives or calamatta, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

 Coat a 4-quart or larger crock pot with cooking spray oil. Crush fennel seeds with the bottom of a saucepan. Combine the fennel seeds, diced fennel, barley,  carrot, shallot and garlic in the crock pot. Add broth, 1 cup water and wine, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the barley (or rice) is tender, but still chewy and the risotto is thick and creamy, 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours on high or low.
 One half hour before risotto is cooked, cook pea's or green beans per directions. Add the  beans, Parmesan, olives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto. If it seems dry, heat the remaining 1/2 cup water and stir it into the risotto. Serve with boiled shrimps on top and fennel fronds.

21 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of preparing risotto in the slow cooker, this is such a great idea! I love your use of fennel. I fell in love with it this summer when I kept receiving it in my CSA and I'm glad I used it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is this delicious and healthy - but you made it in a crockpot - the grandest idea ever. You have me thinking how to lessen my load and still come up with scrumptious stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Risotto sounds awesome! And I love your Fennel photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crock pot recipes!! This sounds so tasty and I think it would work in my smaller crock pot (5 quart)....I am saving this one for future use!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought to do risotto in a crockpot...hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a creative idea! I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claudia we are on the same page today ...I made risotto too....fennel is great idea to add, nice job:)
    http://mywanderingspoon.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/steak-baby-bella-mushroom-risotto/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have never known you could do risotto in the crock pot. How cool is that! Thanks for sharing as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried risotto in a Crockpot...what a great recipe!
    Hope your week is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That 's an original one! well done!
    never tried either:((
    Kiss,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, sounds delicious! Crockpots sound like the perfect do-everything-in kitchen gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great shortcut to making risotto. Usually you add broth in stages and stir until thickened. Yes-I no longer have to babysit at the stove! Thanks for giving me a little more time outside the kitchen, while still being able to have risotto- buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I've never thought of making risotto in a crock pot...but this looks excellent, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Who knew you could make risotto in a crockpot?! This I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, risotto in a crockpot? The dish looks beautiful and yummy! I think I should keep your blog bookmarked for my next party menu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great, though I doubt I could deal with keeping my crockpot on that long in the summer! Might be worth it for risotto though

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO clever to make risotto in the crock-pot! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Risotto in my slow cooker?! YES! Great idea, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  19. For a foodie I have to admit that risotto is something I have never made, but in a crockpot? Maybe even I could make a go of it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have seen risotto made in a crockpot one other time, and wasn't sure how it would be. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Risotto is always wonderful in so many different versions...this sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Plastic Filled Christmas Ornaments

The skies the limit with imagination with these plastic filled Christmas ornaments! Using things I find around the house and outside t...