Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Healthy Grain Bread





2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup warm water
3 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons lemon juice
7 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4 teaspoons salt
4 cups bread flour
In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. In a large bowl, mix remaining 3 1/2 cups warm water, honey, molasses, oil, eggs and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir.
Gradually add 5 cups whole wheat flour beating well after each addition. Add the flax, cracked wheat and sunflower seeds, stir well.
Let sit for 20 minutes, until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flours until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
Knead  15 minutes until dough is smooth and easy to handle. Put into lightly oil sprayed bowl  and cover, let rise in the oven with light on until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Punch down and shape into 6 round shaped or oval shapes.  Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
Form into loaves and let rise covered in oven until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees 40 minutes or until browned.

25 comments:

  1. Oh my - I do want this. Love that it's laden with sunflower seeds and flax. Wishing it was on my breakfast table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some bread. With celiac in the family, I can't make it. I would end up eating it all up.

    I came over to thank you for linking this up and for putting up my badge. I just made it, last week so it is exciting to see it up on blogs. Thanks for all that you have done.

    Chaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM!!! Absolutely my kind of bread!!! I love the grains in this one and the touch of molasses. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the grains in this bread make this recipe very attractive. We try to work in as many whole grains into our diet as we can and this bread would be very welcome in our daily diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow all those ingredients into this beautiful loaf of bread. mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I can't resist bread, I even quote you in my blog when I made dinner rolls..This looks so wonderful..and I love holes in bread, it's makes it even more tastier:)!!
    I love this new blog, makes me right at home:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The honey is such an interesting ingredient in bread; I haven't seen it so much in bread recipes although I like it a lot.
    This loaf of bread is buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, you had me as soon as I was that molasses is in an ingredient. I love molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Claudia
    @Sweet and Savory Chaya
    @Cookin Canuck
    @Sandra
    @Kate
    @Kim
    @Something good
    @Annie
    Thank you all for your kind comments, wish I could share it over a nice cup of coffee with all of you toasted! Cheers... Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ingredients: honey, molasses, whole wheat flour, flax.... it all sounds so good. I bet it comes together for one of the best, healthiest breads. Good job Claudia. Like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic loaf! Love the new photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! I love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. O my, if you have home made bread for lunch sometimes can be enough....love the bread, great job Claudia:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray...another bread to try. My favorites always involve lots of seeds and grains, so I'm jumping up and down after reading your wonderful recipe! Thanks, Claudia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful bread. Love the flax and sunflower seeds...so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love grain breads and this is such a lovely
    loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You found my weakness homemade bread.How can this be bad with all of those extra goodies thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh I would love to bite into this loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that you out sunflower seeds in this hearty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another recipe that makes me wish I could eat wheat. I should try this for the family though. My daughter goes crazy for whole wheat bread. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  21. Claudia - what a great recipe! I love that it used molasses and lemon juice! Great gluten preservers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful bread. I love the mix of seeds and grain.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delicious, and with the seeds it must add such great flavor

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the seeds in your bread Claudia. Would love a nice turkey sandwich with this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The bread looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Plastic Filled Christmas Ornaments

The skies the limit with imagination with these plastic filled Christmas ornaments! Using things I find around the house and outside t...