Saturday, January 15, 2011

Why are Brussel Sprouts Good For You?

Brussel sprouts are small leafy green buds resemble like miniature cabbages in appearance. The buds are exceptionally rich in protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which work wonders to get rid of many health troubles. In fact, a renewed interest is growing about health benefits these sprouts have to offer.

Botanically, the sprouts belong to the same brassica family which also includes cabbage, collard greens, broccoli and kale.

Brussel sprouts are incredibly nutritious vegetable that offers protection from vitamin A deficiency, bone loss, iron deficiency anemia, and believed to protect from cardiovascular diseases and, colon and prostate cancers.
Brussel sprouts are cool season vegetables. In general, sprouts are harvested when the lower buds mature and reach about an inch in size. Fresh sprouts should feature firm, compact and dark green in color. Avoid sprouts featuring loose leaf, yellowish and light in hand.
Fresh sprouts keep well in the refrigerator for up to a day or two. Remove any damaged or discolored outer leaves and store fresh unwashed sprouts in plastic bags/zip pouches in the vegetable container of the refrigerator.


Before cooking, remove discolored and loosen outer leaves and the stems are trimmed.  Wash in clean water and then, soak for few minutes in salt water to remove any dust particles and insect’s eggs.

Fresh sprouts are delicate in flavor, however overcooking results in the release of allyl isothiocyanates  imparting sulphurous odour (pungent smell) to cooked recipes. Therefore, sprouts are generally blanched in boiling water for just about 5 minutes, cooled and then added to a little olive oil, garlic, sea salt and pepper...that's it enjoy!  See other recipe on this site ... roasting brussel sprouts are delicious also!

19 comments:

  1. Love the sprouts! Coat them in butter (soy butter now) and curry powder and everyone eats them up. Glad you are featuring them - they are abundant through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love too and yours look so yummy!

    Kiss
    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sprouts too, as long as they're not overcooked. They're good roasted and also are easily micro-waved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Claudia...I really only seem to eat these in the winter months..and really love them
    The Cucina Barbara!
    Marian I so agree I hate them mushsy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my husband liked brussel sprouts. When they are well done, I love them, but I just can't win him over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love brussel sprouts in all variation of cooking. The only trouble is it is difficult to get fresh ones and it is very expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nutritious-delicious.....got to love brussels:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brussels sprouts are going on my shopping list...even if my family won't touch them, I WANT some!!!! Thanks, Claudia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ladies I really dont know why these are so hated in the world by many !! I <3 your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved brussels sprouts. I just haven't had much luck growing them in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. delicious looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Brussels sprouts get a bad rap, but I personally think they're sooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Brussels Sprouts. My husband introduce me to them and I now like them more then he does. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My house is FULL of brussel sprout lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couple more comments on sprouts - they're right up there with kale as being one of the most nutrient dense veggies, I believe. And, I think it's also been found that if you cook them longer, the sulphur will dissipate (sp?) So, you either cook them quickly or long. We prefer to shred them and cook them quickly or roast them at high heat for quite a while. They're on our menu for this week - shredded with craisins and some nuts

    ReplyDelete
  16. @kate this is awesome information added thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great posts and comments about Brussels sprouts! My husband planted some in the garden...our first attempt to grow them. I'm hoping for a big crop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've found a way to cook these wonderful brussel sprouts in about 10 minutes, and they taste great!

    Med-Hi heat skillet (cast iron preferred), wash & cut the brussel sprouts in half (lengthwise). Put a few tablespoons of light olive oil in the pan, then place all the sprouts cut face down. Cook covered for 5 minutes. Then, put about 2 tablespoons of Japanese (flavored) Rice Vinegar and turn the heat to High. This will nicely brown them, and make a slightly sticky film to them, imparting a great flavor. After 5 minutes, turn heat off, keep covered until ready to serve. To serve, dump them into a bowl, with the drippings, then grind fresh pepper and Kosher salt into it to taste.

    SOOOO tasty !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for the recipe and taking the time to write it here, I will try that!

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Eating the Right Foods To Fight Inflammation

Some of the best foods on earth can help without taking medicines. Take a look at what can relieve inflammation and what you can to do reli...