Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mussels for Valentines Day

2 lbs. Mussels
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. unsalted promise margarine
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 large plum tomatoes, cored, put through food processor
3/4 cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
1/2 teaspoon basil, oregano
pinch of cayenne pepper


Fill a large pot with water and add mussels.

In a seperate medium sized saucepan or wok style pan, sauté garlic  in margarine, stirring over medium heat for 2 minutes.

Stir in the garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, spices and herbs except for fresh parsley.

Heat the water and  the mussels on to high burner.

Cook the tomatoes for 2 minutes, then add the wine and salt and pepper to taste.

Quickly bring the tomatoes to a boil and boil for 5–8 minutes, until the sauce is as thick as you like.

Keep the sauce over very low heat.  Add fresh parsley just before serving.

Meanwhile, steam the mussels for about 6 to 9 minutes until they have opened.

Discard any that do not open.

Arrange the mussels on serving plates.

Spread the shells slightly, or break off the empty half; and spoon some of the sauce over each mussel.

Serve with boiled pasta of choice and garlic bread.

11 comments:

  1. Can I call you Popeye, cause you have some nice muscles. Yeah, I know I need to clam up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful dish...I'm jealous of your fabulous seafood...I'd just love to dip some crusty bread in that delectable sauce~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hearts Day to you and to all your readers and followers.

    i really like your recipes and now another wonderful soup. Brilliant for hearts day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderful recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lizzy! This looks fabulous and I can just imagine the that mussel and tomato sauce with some hearty crusty bread would be to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome dish, looks so beautiful. I not fan of Mussels but my hubby is so got to try this for him! Happy Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Valentine’s Day, Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On this "heart" day, I heart my mussels and yours are simply perfect. You just gave the most enticing reminder that's been awhile...and they are wonderfully inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yummm! I seriously need to be reading your blog for the heart healthy recipes! Can't wait to look through it.
    xo,
    Sena

    (p.s. thank you for stopping by my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow such a delicious and gorgeous dish...Perfect for Valentines Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YummYYY!!!
    I am more than delighted to follow your blog.
    & you are more than welcome to folloow mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Homemade Coconut Oil Salt or Sugar Scrub

I was inspired from my good friend Jessica to make this coconut oil salt body scrubs. After she told me about this coconut oil body scrub s...