Monday, March 7, 2011

Avocado Salsa

 

 Lower Cholesterol:
Avocados are high in beta-sitosterol, a compound that has been shown to lower cholesterol levels. In one study, 45 volunteers experienced an average drop in cholesterol of 17% after eating avocados for only one week.

 

Heart Health:
One cup of avocado has 23% of the recommended daily value of folate. Studies show that people who eat diets rich in folate have a much lower incidence of heart disease than those who don't. The vitamin E, monounsaturated fats, and glutathione in avocado are also great for your heart.

Stroke Prevention
The high levels of folate in avocado are also protective against strokes. People who eat diets rich in folate have a much lower risk of stroke than those who don't.

Avocado Salsa

3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 oz crumbled feta cheese
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
Combine all ingredients, except feta cheese and avocado. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Add cheese and avocado just before serving.

How to Ripen and Avocado?
Place the avocado in a paper bag with an apple, banana, or tomato.
Fold the bag closed and leave it to sit on the counter overnight.
The ethylene gas in the other fruit will cause the avocado to ripen in about 24 hours.

21 comments:

  1. I love avocados! I use them in salads, but also in sliced in sandwiches. They're great on a BLT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this salsa - all that creaminess and then you get that great tang with the feta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info and recipe...love avacado everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so hearty and delicious!!! I love avocado and salsa, PERFECT!
    Take care,
    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe and yummy looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salsa too and this is a great recipe. I added lime zest to mine the other day which was a great success! Highly recommend it if you're a salsa fan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avocados are amazing! I love the clean flavors in this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. healthy and delicious! - great job!

    Jas from OurEyesEatFirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! Love the nutrition remarks as well. Add some cumin to that and WOW. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I adore avocado and I love salsa. I really think I could eat them every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love salsa and avacado's so I'm going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds fabulous!!! I adore avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks and sounds wonderful. Go Team Avacado!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That avocado salsa looks very tasty... The feta cheese sounds like a nice touch; definitely worth trying.

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wife just said avocados are on sale. Do you have recipes other than guacamole? Now I can say yes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How original....feta and oregano. I've never seen them in guacamole, but I bet it's tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. delicious looking salsa looks wonderful
    regards Akheela

    ReplyDelete
  18. This salsa looks incredible, I LOVE avocados! What a great idea, definitely trying this myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love avocados too! This must be so delicious! Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE avocados! Great recipe! I knew avocados were good for you, but I didn't know how good - thanks for he info!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I heart avocados! Your salsa sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Eating the Right Foods To Fight Inflammation

Some of the best foods on earth can help without taking medicines. Take a look at what can relieve inflammation and what you can to do reli...