Saturday, April 23, 2011

Herb Potatoes with Carrots and Health Benefits


Potatoes are one of the most popular vegetables because they are nutritious, easy to prepare, and very versatile. They’re rich in complex carbohydrates that can supply energy, but not all that high in calories. One medium-sized potato (about 3 inches in diameter) has about 150 calories. That same potato has about 5 grams of fiber, which is important for a healthy digestive tract. They’re also a healthy source of vitamins and minerals.
Potatoes contain more potassium than any other fresh vegetable in the produce department,  even more than bananas. One potato has almost 900 milligrams, which is about 20% of what you need every day. Potassium is important for body growth and cell maintenance. It’s also necessary for nervous function and for normal muscle contraction - including the heart muscle. Potassium is also an electrolyte that helps to balance the fluids in your body, which is important for healthy blood pressure.
Potatoes also contain substantial amounts of vitamins C and B6, which are vital for blood clotting, wound healing, a strong immune system, normal nervous system function and for converting the food you eat to energy.  Some reports also show they could lower your blood pressure.

There are many ways to cook potatoes. There are boiling potatoes, yellow potatoes, purple, baking, white, red skin, just to name a few.

Here is an easy recipe with boiled potatoes for a side dish.

 Herb Potatoes and Carrots

3 to 4 boiling potatoes cubed
1 cup of crinkle cut or baby carrots
salt, pepper
1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, oregano, parsley, basil
3 to 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Boil potatoes and carrots together until tender. Drain. Place in a large bowl toss with olive oil and herbs.

8 comments:

  1. I like seeing the postives of potatoes. If you don't gunk them up wirth cream and butter - they are fine, right? And I do love them roasted with carrots - what a perfect paring you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This screams comfort food to me. Sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the other night, I was having some troubles sleeping, so decided to list all the ways I could use a potato. This here wasn't on my list, but of course it should have been. Great, really great. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat potatoes morning noon and night, I love them. Carrots and potatoes make a great combination, I love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much.I am trying to lose weight and this is a healthy option.I never know that potato has great vitamins and minerals.Now,I am going to allow my son to eat more potato...he is a potato guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure potatoes are the best kind of potatoes. I love'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to have found your blog. I need these type of recipes. I am a new follower and invite you to visit my blog.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so incredible good! I have always enjoyed potatoes and think they get a bad wrap as far as nutrition most of the time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Homemade Coconut Oil Salt or Sugar Scrub

I was inspired from my good friend Jessica to make this coconut oil salt body scrubs. After she told me about this coconut oil body scrub s...