Monday, July 18, 2011

Heart Smart Garlic Naan Bread



                           
  A diet high in whole grain foods is associated with a significantly lower risk of developing cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and stroke according to many studies.
A grain is "whole" when the entire grain seed is retained: the bran, germ and the endosperm. The bran and germ components are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats. These are the parts removed in the refining process, leaving behind the energy-dense but nutrient-poor endosperm portion of the grain. Examples of whole grain foods include wild rice, popcorn, oatmeal, brown rice, barley, wheat berries and flours such as whole wheat.
In addition to protecting against cardiovascular disease, which accounts for one-third of deaths worldwide, there is evidence that whole grains also project against diabetes and other chronic conditions.

1 teaspoon active dry yeast, 1/2 tsp agave nectar, 1/2 cup luke warm water (slightly warm when skin touches the water)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons Canola oil or olive oil

2 tablespoons fat free plain yogurt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

In a small bowl, combine the yeast and agave nectar. Add the water to the yeast then still in agave nectar. Let sit until frothy, approximately 5 minutes.
 In a large bowl, combine the flour,garlic powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, oil, and yogurt.
 Knead together for 3 minutes, adding more flour as needed. I used an industrial kitchenaid mixer. Place dough in an oil sprayed bowl and cover with plastic wrap, then a towel. Rest and rise for one hour.

  You will need to punch down the  risen dough then divide it into 6 balls. Roll each ball out on a floured surface until about 1/4 inch .
I use a george foreman grill to bake mine. If using an oven, place in hot oven of 400 degrees and bake 8 to 10 minutes on a baking pizza stone or in a cast iron pan.
.

16 comments:

  1. I have only had Naan once, sadly to say. However, this homemade version looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a long time since I have had naan. Very simple recipe. Seems like flat breads get ignored in US. I am going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my family would love these! Great tip about the George Foreman grill~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully comprehensive post. This bread is such a great accompaniment to so many foods. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I really like naan bread but rarely eat or make it. This recipe is inspiring though-that grilled bread looks tasty. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nom nom nom! Naan bread is so tasty, but add the garlic to it and it is crazy-delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one Indian food that Grumpy likes. lol. Nevermind it taste best dipped in curry. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naan. I love it but so rarely buy it. Can't understand why. I'll def. have to try this recipe. It looks healthy and I know it would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love naan and you've made this SO easy! I think I'll be making some very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. deliciously done naan looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wondered about making Naan! Yours looks so good, maybe I'll finally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We made naan with pizza dough this week; but, I love that you've made it from scratch AND that it's healthy. It looks delicious! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Claudia, Love this bread! Red took the foreman grill to college so I guess I'll have to settle for the stone. Bet they would be good grilled outside too. With the summer heat, might just try that method.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love this naan bread the way it turned out for you, Claudia. So tasty and delicious. I have a cast iron grill that would be lovely to grill it on.
    Thanks for sharing yet, another wonderful recipe!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great message... Hope you take the following to heart and make us a habit...


    Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I have some agave nectar in my cupboard, I'm making this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Plastic Filled Christmas Ornaments

The skies the limit with imagination with these plastic filled Christmas ornaments! Using things I find around the house and outside t...