Saturday, August 20, 2011

Whole Wheat Herb Veggie Pizza's and Some Health Benefits







DOUGH:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, basil and parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (should be luke warm to wrist)
2 tablespoons olive oil


SAUCE:
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

TOPPINGS:
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup each green and sweet red pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add water and oil; beat until smooth. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes,( I usually turn my oven on to 400 degrees, keeping a covered bowl on the outer top of the stovetop).

In a small saucepan, bring sauce ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-18 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside.
Punch dough down. Divide in half, roll each portion into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to two greased 12-in. pizza pans. Prick dough with a fork. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a small skillet, saute vegetables in oil until tender. Spread pizzas with sauce, sprinkle with vegetables and cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned. 



In the past it was commonly believed that pizza was not really a healthy food. Part of the reason for this is that it was put in the same group as other fast foods, such as hamburgers and fries. This is a major misconception, as pizza can actually be a highly nutritional meal.
One of the main ingredients of pizza is the tomato, which contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Lycopene is known to help fight many different types of cancer. Studies have shown that people who eat pizza at least once a week were much less likely to develop colon and mouth cancer as well as stomach and lung cancer. It is known to be especially helpful in fighting prostate cancer and lower your chances of developing esophaegeal cancer.
It is the tomato that is the main cancer-fighting ingredient of pizza. Incredibly, studies have also shown that processed tomatoes such as those found in pizza or spaghetti sauce are actually higher in lycopene than fresh tomatoes.Tomato sauce is extremely healthy, and for this reason so is pizza.
Another health benefit of pizza is the dough. In actuality, wheat pizza dough is another ingredient of pizza that is high in antioxidants, and through certain baking techniques the antioxidants in the dough can actually be increased.
Adding even more health benefits to pizza is simple. A vegetable pizza with just a little  low fat cheese is a very healthy food. You get the great taste and health benefits of pizza without all the extra fat and cholesterol normally associated with meats and cheese. If you a meat lover then try your pizza with some grilled chicken to your vegetable pizza. Chicken offers many health benefits that other meats don't, and it tastes great.
With the many health benefits of pizza, it can no longer be viewed in the same light as other fast foods.

21 comments:

  1. Homemade pizza is one of my absolute favorites. Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I usually order whole wheat pizza when it's available. In fact, whole wheat pasta is also our choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats homemade pizza. It brings back memories of my mama. She would add so much garlic to the dough and it was wonderful. This is one delicious looking pizza. Love the whole wheat in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These toppings look awesome, the crust sounds perfect too. Lovely pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was watching the news and the had a nutritionist on. He was talking to a mother who said her kid only wanted to eat pizza. He replied that is not as bad as you think switch to whole wheat crust, cut back on cheese and meats or substitute turkey pepperoni and add more vegetables. Pizza is about the only food kids eat that contains veggies, grain, dairy and low fat protein if you make the substitutions I mentioned. Since kids think of it as a junk food they will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that when we make homemade pizza-we have more of a chance of eating healthy than when purchasing. Even purchased veggie pizza I am sure is loaded with fat and calories. I will need to try the whole wheat crust-it does look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple AND good= greatness!

    Saw that you were retweeted on Twitter recently ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it was made for me. Mushrooms! Pizza! My darlings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess I'll never have to worry about a lot of health problems ;) Even though I'm the Italian in the family, my wife has taken up making home-made pizza for the kids every friday- usually using fresh basil or whatever veggies look good at the local farm stand. Personally, I like marinated artichoke hearts on mine... but I'm also a sucker for anchovies, so I'm not quite 100% behind vegetarian pizza (but I still eat it of course, after all it's just good even if I can't convince my family that anchovies are great.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your food and this pizza is one of the many reason why, great recipe , thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I am a sucker for pizza. And a healthy version is just lovely. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I could eat pizza everyday and I am serious, I will even take left over rolls, spoon on some sauce add some mozzarella and put it under the broiler. This is wonderful Claudia and so healthy. Who said pizza is fattening?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! I am a fan of veggies on a pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this healthy colorful pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love making pizza at home! And this veggie pizza sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Claudia,
    since my husband's bypass, we have switched to veggie pizza, which I prefer. I especially love spinach and tomatoes on pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, this looks SO good, Claudia! My kind of pizza~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Claudia...always happy to see a healthy version of pizza...and this looks just delicious! Veggie pizza's are my favorite! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. pizza looks wonderfully delicious

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing better than a homemade pizza and those looks delicious, thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have always thought of homemade pizza as a healthy choice...yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Homemade Coconut Oil Salt or Sugar Scrub

I was inspired from my good friend Jessica to make this coconut oil salt body scrubs. After she told me about this coconut oil body scrub s...