Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bean Soup and Health Benefits Recipe


 Beans are very good for you! And, yes, beans are loaded with carbs, but they're the complex, good kind that help provide energy to your muscles and brain.  Kidney Beans: Along with lots of fiber and protein, kidney beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum. This mineral helps detoxify sulfites, a type of preservative added to many foods (and to which many people are sensitive), from the body. Pinto Beans: "Pinto" is Spanish for "painted," which refers to the pinto beans' splashes of color. They're rich in antioxidants, fiber, protein, molybdenum, folate, manganese, vitamin B1, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, potassium and copper. Navy Beans: Navy beans got their name because they were a staple food of the U.S. Navy in the early 20th century. They're rich in fiber, protein, folate, manganese, vitamin B1, phosphorous, copper, magnesium and iron. Black Beans: Also referred to as turtle beans, black beans are loaded with antioxidants and fiber, and are an excellent source of high-quality protein. So take your pick they are all healthy!
 1 pound packaged dried beans
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 cups reduced-salt chicken broth
 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
2 pounds ham chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
Pick over the beans, rinse them, and place them in a  5 quart crockpot on low overnight.
The next day, drain and rinse the beans, and place them back in the crockpot. Stir in the chicken broth, ham , black pepper,  celery leaves and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Place on high for 4 hours, stir every hour. Serve with low fat crackers.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info on beans - I had no idea in some cases :) Looks like a delicious soup, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bean facts! I love beans dearly.. Your soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds aweaome. Especially with the beens being made from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an informative post and I do eat a lot of variety of beans. I even remember by bean & onion buritto diet I came up with years ago! Thanks for the recipe on this comforting soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to thank you, Claudia. I cook my dried beans a la Claudia these days. Soup sounds great! L)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I started to enjoy beans and now I just love them! They are SO good for you!

    Thanks for the great information (as always)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love eating beans and we add tempering of garlic and ginger and other spices for easy digestion. That's right they are good carb. informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad loves ALL sorts of bean dishes...and you've got me thinking of what I could make for him when he comes for Thanksgiving. He'd love this soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't grow up with beans - but have been making up for it ever since. I love the simplicity of this - just waiting to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious Claudia! And informative which is a huge perk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love beans and thanks for the info. on them now I feel even better eating them :)Your bean soup is simple but packed full of flavor sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm. Can you help a fellow bean lover out? Any ideas on a vegetarian version of this yummy sounding soup? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Kelly... instead of ham, put carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and a little liquid smoke in a food processor add to the pot, thats will produce a hearty flavor without meat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love eating beans, just don't tend to eat them much in soup - now the winter is here - I should try more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, looks wonderful, love soup at this time of the year and yours looks so healthy too!

    ReplyDelete

Wishing you a happy healthy heart, thanks for commenting and reading blogs got heart!

Homemade Coconut Oil Salt or Sugar Scrub

I was inspired from my good friend Jessica to make this coconut oil salt body scrubs. After she told me about this coconut oil body scrub s...