Saturated fats go are disguised in other food names. These are in cocoa butter and/or coconut, palm and palm kernel oils. Hydrogenated oil is loaded with harmful trans fats, which, along with saturated fats, are the main dietary cause of high cholesterol.
Snacks sugary packaged and processed snacks are nothing you need for a healthy heart, always reach for fresh whole foods, pears, strawberries, blueberries, apples, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, baby carrots or unsalted nuts.
Drinks I love coffee but too much cola or coffee are not a benefit to your heart. Water with fresh lime or lemons, add a splash of fruit juice, when you realize just how much good it’s doing for your body and your heart fresh is always best.
Weight To maintain your weight, make sure you burn as many calories as you take in each day. If you stick with reading nutrition labels and keep a good log or track on this one, learn how to make work by your body weight and goal set this balance has to work for you.
Approximately 200 million Americans are overweight or obese, and doctors are finding that a large waist circumference ups CHD risk. But an even better predictor of getting heart disease is the ratio of your waist size to your hip size—if your waist is wider than your hips, it’s definitely time to trim down.
10 Tips for Eating Heart Smart
1. Know good fats from your bad fats and limit them.
2. Eat lean meats and poultry without skin, and prepare them without added saturated and trans fat.
3. Eat at least two servings of fish each week salmon being the first choice.
4. Select fat-free, 1% fat and low-fat dairy products. Dairy is known to build plaque on arteries.
5. Reduce or eliminate consumption of foods containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils to reduce trans fat in your diet.
6. Cut back on foods high in cholesterol.
7. Cut back on beverages and foods with added sugar, soda is a diffinite no.
8. Eat less salt and prepare foods with little or no salt.
9. Eat a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, soluble fibeer. The fiber from oat bran, beans, nuts and certain fruits wil help lower blood cholesterol and may also help reduce the risk of diabetes.
10. Read labels for heart-healthy ingredients.
Strawberry Tomato Best Salsa:
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
4 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oilIn a large bowl, combine strawberries, tomatoes, chile peppers, garlic, lime juice and oil. Toss all together to mix and coat. Cover dish and refrigerate for 2 hours to chill. Ready to serve!