Friday, January 27, 2012
1. Chips : High in fat and calories. An ounce is around 150 calories and 10 grams of fat 3 in which are saturated!
Substitute rice cakes that now come in many flavors or Heart Smart Pop Corn
2. Non Dairy Whipped toppings: Such as Cool whip and it's knockoffs. These are full of corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oils bad for the arteries.
Substitute vanilla yogurt that also has healthy calcium .
3. Doughnuts : These have a high amount of calories, white flour and sugar and the worse deep fried. An old-fashioned cake doughnut has 300 calories, 28 grams of carbohydrates and a whopping 19 grams of fat, including 5 grams of saturated fat and 4 grams of trans fat. Only 30% of our calories should come from fat, says the American Heart Association. That’s about 65 grams in a 2,000-calorie daily diet.
Substitute a multi grain bagel.
4. Alfredo Sauce: Butter and cheese, a food lovers dream? Not hardly full of fat and calories, around 530 for 3 ounces and 33 grams of fat!
Substitute whole grain pasta or spinach and opt in for marinara sauce.
5. Sausages: Pork sausage for one single link is over 197 calories and 19 grams of fat!
Substitute vegetarian sausage or turkey Italian sausage.
6. Fried Chicken: Calories and fat content in a chicken breast around 400 calories and 22 grams of fat.
Substitute grilled chicken that will be around 189 calories with a some fresh lemon juice, olive oil and some seasoning.
7. Jar or canned Cheeses: Your heart hates this! A artery blocker for sure! Two tablespoons is around 280 calories and 21 grams of fat 13 which are saturated!!! Get rid of this!
Substitute REAL CHEESE the lighter ones that are better for you are brie or goat cheese.
8. French Fries: Oh I know you hate to see this one here but a large order of fries is over 550 calories, half the calories from fat if you include a hamburger raise the fat content to 39 grams and 679 calories!
Substitute Baked Fries, sweet potatoes baked. If you have to have french fries, opt in for a small fry order the kids fry serving. It's 280 calories and 13 grams of fat. Every once in awhile I have a kids meal but don't tell anyone ....
9. Fried Wontons: Many Appetizers are made with cream cheese stuffed with crab, shrimp etc. These fried little gems are a whopping 310 calories and 19 grams of fat!
Substitute whole wheat bread toasted topped with fresh chopped tomato and basil a few shrimp.
10. White Bread : white bread is full of carbs, adds nothing but that will waste your 65 calories per slice with very little nutrition and will leave your body crying for fiber.
Substitute with Whole grain or whole wheat bread these offer heart healthy fiber with around the same calories.
Just remember everything in moderation, sometimes however, we just have to stay away from the fats that hurt of heart health, don't just eat it because it's fast or it's there, think about the long term, start today, your heart will like the answers.
Monday, January 16, 2012
|Many studies have proven to show this delicious vegetable can be an aid to prevent many illnesses|
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, black pepper and parsley
pinch of cayenne
3 cloves minced garlic finely chopped
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seafood seasoning
1/4 cup chopped red peppers
1 teaspoon fat free mayonnaise
Drain grated zucchini well, pressing between layers of paper towels.
Combine zucchini and all ingredients in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 8 portions, shaping each into a patties.. (Mixture will be soft.)
Bake patties on a parchment lined sprayed cookie sheet with cooking oil. If you want to fry them which is not low fat,use a small amount of canola oil and saute on both side. Cook until they are soft and browned on both sides.
The health benefits of this great vegetable called Zucchini
Great for Dieters!
One cup of zucchini has 36 calories contains 10% dietary fiber which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar and curbs overeating.
The dietary ﬁber in zucchini helps lower cholesterol by attaching itself to bile acids that the liver makes from cholesterol for digesting fat. Because ﬁber binds so well with bile acid, thus crowding its ability to immediately digest fat, the liver is charged with producing more bile acid.
The liver then draws upon even more cholesterol to produce bile acid, consequently lowering the overall cholesterol level in the body. Furthermore, the high levels of vitamin C and vitamin A prevent cholesterol from oxidizing in the body's blood vessels, thus hampering the onset of atherosclerosis.
Because dietary ﬁber promotes healthy and regular bowel movements, the high amounts of ﬁber in zucchini also help prevent carcinogenic toxins from settling in the colon. The vitamins C and A, as well as folate, found in zucchini act as powerful antioxidants that ﬁght oxidative stress that can lead to many different types of cancer.
Studies have shown that the phytonutrients in zucchini aid in reducing the symptoms of benign
prostatic hypertrophy, a condition in which the prostate gland enlarges and leads
to complications with urination and sexual functions in men.
Vitamin C and A can help in anti inflammatory agents. Cooper is also found in zucchini, these vitamins deter the development of many disorders including asthma, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention
A one cup serving of zucchini contains over 10% of the RDA of magnesium, this is mineral proven to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Lower Blood Pressure
Along with magnesium, the potassium found in zucchini helps lower blood pressure.
Both the potassium and magnesium in zucchini, can help alleviate the stress on the circulatory system.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Apples: No #1 on top of my list this year. Two apples a day or 12 ounce glass of pure juice can lower your LDL cholesterol and can lower your chances of heart disease by 50%! This is a must add to my diet in 2012 for sure.
Garlic: Garlic can lower your LDL in your cholesterol and thins your blood naturally which can lower your chance of heart disease.
Kale : This leafy green will give you Vitamin A and is a cancer fighting antioxidant. This great source of heart hhealthy fiber is also good for your skin, eyes and promotes a healthy immune system. Just 1 cup of Kale has almost as much vitamin C as a whole orange!
Sardines: Rich in omega 3 fats and packed with Vitamin D. Because these fish are so small they have allot less contaminants than the larger fish. Just 3 ounces will give you 1950 milligrams of omega 3! Salmon is a second runner up with 950 milligrams of omega 3 in Alaska Wild caught Salmon as it is closely monitored for contaminants and has stricter regulations.
Pomegranate: Helps protect and mop up harmful free radicals and can protect you from chronic illnesses like heart disease. Just one cup has 4 grams of fiber in a glass.
Oatmeal: One of my favorite to lower cholesterol! 1 1/2 cups a day can actually lower the bad LDL in your cholesterol count by 5%!
Quinoa: Great grain food for dieters as it makes you stay full longer, packed with fiber!
Kefir: Look for this in the dairy section in your supermarkets. This is a pro biotic. Much needed to boost your immune system. It's like drinking yogurt.
Lentils: Full of fiber and protein, economical and a wonderful source of iron. Guess what else? They are good for your heart too! Beans in general like black eyed, pinto, pink beans, kidney all good for your heart!
Door Christmas Decoration! Most of them cost so much money we just pass it by. This is an easy way to make one for more than half the ...